If you're sent MS Office files (Word, Excel or Powerpoint) or export them from systems like Yardi or Dayforce you may wish to convert them to a Google file format (Google Docs, Sheets or Slides). Converting files will allow you to benefit from all the collaborative functions Google offers.
To convert a file follow the steps below:
- Locate the file in Google Drive and double click it to open it
- The file will open in the corresponding Google app and you'll see the original file format highlighted after the file name. In this case, we're using an Excel file and will convert it to Google Sheets.
- To convert the file, select 'File' > 'Save As Google Sheets'
- A new tab will open with the newly created Google Sheets version of your file.
- Make sure you delete the original MS Office file to avoid any confusion.