Certain files, such as PDFs and images, require programs on our computer to edit them. To aid with version control and document management, there are a couple of ways we can open them. If at all possible, it is recommended you use the Google Apps (Docs, Sheets, and Slides)
Opening from Drive File Stream
- Navigate to the file in Windows Explorer or Finder, and double click on the file.
- Edit the document as needed.
Opening from Google Drive
Opening directly from the web interface allows the use of the search function and all the other benefits of the web interface. To open a file with a program on your computer:
- Locate the file in a folder or a search result
- Hover your cursor over the file, and locate .
- The file will be locked to prevent other people from editing, and saving the file will link back to Google Drive.