Google Calendar has two powerful features to help you identify when your colleagues are available when scheduling a meeting. Use these features to avoid sending invitations to events that your invitees will not be able to attend due to previously scheduled events.
OPTION 1: SUGGESTED TIMES
- On your computer, open Google Calendar.
- In the top left, click Create event .
- Click the "More Options" button.
- In the "Add Guests" box, type the name or email address of the person you want to invite.
- If you want to use a specific meeting room or other resource click on "rooms" and then add the resource you want. Resources can be a projector or van/bus.
- Under "Guests," click Suggested Times. This will give you times when all attendees and resources you have selected show they are available for a meeting.
- When you see a time that looks good for everyone, click it to update the meeting time. Then simply save and send to invite your guests.
Keep in mind that if someone outside of our organization is an attendee you will likely get this error:
You will still be able to use the suggest times feature but will need to take the out-of-organization people's availability into account manually.
OPTION 2: FIND A TIME
Note: The Find A Time feature is only accessible via the web app, not the mobile Calendar apps.
To access Find A Time in Google Calendar
- Create a new event, or edit an existing event.
- Add your guests in the Guests tab and resources\meeting rooms under the rooms tab.
- Click the "Find a time" tab.
- The calendars of your attendees will be displayed.
- If the other guests' calendars are shared with you, you'll see their schedules, either with full details or with blocks showing free and busy times.
- The Day view is the default Select Week to see a week view.
- Use the arrows at the top to navigate between days/weeks.
- To select a time, click the area within the calendar grid.
- The day and time will update for the event. Then simply save and send to invite your guests.
Beware All-day events:
- All-day events are shown at the top of the calendar grid.
- If a guest has an all-day event, they will appear available in the "Find a time" tab unless if their event is set to show as "Busy."
- To schedule an all-day event, click the Week button and then click the area at the top of a day column.